Most Recent Covid-19 Update
Given the new Covid state wide pause order, our own UMC Bishop and state wide denominational request, Allendale Public Schools move to remote learning, our current limited volunteer base, and the reality that a significant number of families in the Valley community has covid, recently had covid, or are quarantining because of family members who have; we believe it’s wise to honor all of that and pause in person worship for the next three weeks. We want to do our part to help look out for the community and keep people safe and healthy.
This is one way we can be on mission as a church right now.
Our Lead Team spent time in discernment, prayer, and communication this week. It was a supportive and respectful dialogue with unity and much love and respect even in our differences. I am proud of our Team and this is the kind of spirit I envision, pray for, and wish for our whole church. I appreciate the trust and the spirit of unity and unwavering connectedness that we have with one another even in the midst of emotional issues, times, and differing opinions. That’s what the church and community is supposed to be about. That’s why we value love and say, “There are endless number of things that divide us in this world. The church shouldn’t be one of them.” (Neither should Covid I would add!) I continue to pray for that kind of spirit at Valley in the days and weeks and months ahead. I hope you’ll join me in those prayers.
Covid Sucks! But, we’re not going to let it win or defeat us or divide us!
I’m excited for you to see what we have planned and some fun stuff for online worship in the next few weeks and into Advent and the Christmas season! You really will want to be a part of it. And speaking of worship online here’s 10 simple ways you can make worship the most intentional hour of your week. Because worship can still be worship and powerful online as we gather and engage with our church family.
- Get dressed! Forget your pajama’s and be more intentional about it. Put on something that helps you feel like you’re going to worship.
- Create a sacred space. Light a candle, put a cross in the center of the room or on a table, open your Bible, or do anything else that helps you make your space sacred and ready to honor God at 10:30AM.
- Decide if you’re going to gather and worship on Facebook or Youtube.
- Pray together, or even call someone to pray with, right before worship starts.
- Sit with the people you normally do! Start a watch party and worship together with your Go Group, other friends at Valley, or people you usually sit near.
- Invite your friends to church by sharing the livestream on your Facebook page. Faith is always better with friends!
- Say “Hello!” And engage. Saying “Hello” to people is part of attending church. Do the same online! Engage in the comments and share your thoughts. When it’s time to text your prayer request, participate and text away. All of this helps you know you’re not by yourself and you’re still connected.
- Don’t just sit there. Stand up and sing. And if you don’t have a great voice that’s awesome because no one will know and you can praise God like crazy! If you have kids have fun with it and make up your own dance or hand motions to the songs.
- Say “Cheese!” Share photos of how you and/or your family are worshipping together and share or tag them to our Facebook or Instagram pages. This helps create a sense of community.
- Take notes during the message to discuss together or with a friend after worship. If you have kids here’s a great way to do that with them!
We’re in your corner and we really are in this together. For God. For People. For a Change. If there is any way we can be supportive or in prayer for you please don’t hesitate to let us know. If you’d like to connect and talk, or if you have any questions, feel free to let me know. I want to be available to you and we genuinely care about you.
Blessings, keep on keeping on, and see you Sunday at 10:30!